As a successful Head Groundskeeper, your main responsibility is to exercise complete managerial responsibility for the preparation, maintenance, and the general appearance of our playing surface. The primary function of this position is directing and supervising the use of this area while maintaining optimum playing conditions.
· Hire all staff and manage all grounds staff for our business.
· Work closely with sales to ensure all field related events are properly managed and to meet customer needs.
· Create and manage parameters and systems that work closely with the Operations Director to help manage with off-season facility projects, and special event needs as they arise.
· Create and manage and inspect all Departmental and OSHA safety guidelines and regulations.
· Oversee and train the use of hazardous chemicals among staff.
· Work with senior management to negotiate contracts and work with vendors companies as necessary for field needs and equipment.
· Manage inventory of grounds materials. Create and manage tracking systems for material usage.
· Prepare budgets and operate under budgetary guidelines; forecast for the future.
· Direct the effective, detailed and proactive maintenance of the playing surfaces, surrounding turf areas, and the common grounds, including but not limited to, litter control, mowing and trimming, seeding, painting/striping field, fertilization and weed management, infield tarp placement and removal, skinned-area preparation, including pitchers mounds, bullpens, home plates and infield areas, edging foul lines, base lines and other transition points, pre-game set up and post-game closure of field for home games and other events, and set up and take down of baseball equipment for team practice and drills.
· Create training and train all game-day employees and seasonal hires in grounds duties.
· Make regular field inspections to ensure the quality and safety of the playing field and surrounding turf.
· Develop and maintain working relationships with managers, coaches, umpires, etc.
· Manage all employment decisions for all grounds personnel.
· Ensure the safe and proper operation of all equipment utilized, maintaining that equipment in safe, clean, operable condition
Individual Contributor Duties:
· Handle daily operational ground duties as needed on game days which would include mowing the field grass, repairing playing surface, maintaining field irrigation and fertilization.
· Manage the set-up, maintenance, and close down of field including tarp pull.
· Baseball Field Maintenance including mound and home plate repair, skin work, bullpen repair, warning track work, and batting practice setup/teardown.
· Turf Maintenance including mowing, edging, fertilizer application, irrigation, verticutting, aerating, sodding, and over seeding.
· Outside Landscape maintenance of turf, shrubs, gravel, and irrigation.
· 4+ years related experience including a solid knowledge of turf maintenance supplies, materials and equipment and management of a baseball complex/stadium
· Knowledge in the practices and principles related to turf maintenance
· 3+ years supervisory experience in similar capacity
· Pesticide license in turf/ornamental landscaping; Turf 3L Pesticide license; Knowledge of IPM (Integrated Pest Management)
· Excellent oral and written communication skills
· Excellent organization skills, strong work ethic, desire to excel, and willingness to learn
· Knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel
· Ability to direct and lead an assigned seasonal grounds staff
· Experience in transition maintenance (i.e. rye to bermuda) is preferred
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.