As a successful Assistant Groundskeeper/Turf Manager, your main responsibility is to assist the Head Groundskeeper in exercising complete managerial responsibility for the preparation, maintenance, and the general appearance of our playing surface. The primary function of this position is directing and supervising the use of this area while maintaining optimum playing conditions. This position reports to the Head Groundskeeper/Turf Management Director.
- Assist in hiring all game day/part time staff and manage all grounds staff for our business.
- Work closely with sales to ensure all field related events are properly managed and to meet customer needs.
- Create and manage parameters and systems that work closely with the Operations Director to help manage with off-season facility projects, and special event needs as they arise.
- Create and manage and inspect all Departmental and OSHA safety guidelines and regulations.
- Oversee and train the use of hazardous chemicals among staff.
- Assist with the management of inventory of grounds materials.
- Direct the effective, detailed and proactive maintenance of the playing surfaces, surrounding turf areas, and the common grounds, including but not limited to, litter control, mowing and trimming, seeding, painting/striping field, fertilization and weed management, infield tarp placement and removal, skinned-area preparation, including pitchers mounds, bullpens, home plates and infield areas, edging foul lines, base lines and other transition points, pre-game set up and post-game closure of field for home games and other events, and set up and take down of baseball equipment for team practice and drills. Management of Citadel practices and games.
- Assist in creating training and train all game-day employees and seasonal hires in grounds duties.
- Make regular field inspections to ensure the quality and safety of the playing field and surrounding turf.
- Develop and maintain working relationships with managers, coaches, umpires, etc.
- Ensure the safe and proper operation of all equipment utilized, maintaining that equipment in safe, clean, operable condition. Assist in equipment maintenance plan.
Individual Contributor Duties:
- Handle daily operational ground duties as needed on game days which would include mowing the field grass, repairing playing surface, maintaining field irrigation and fertilization.
- Manage the set-up, maintenance, and close of field including tarp pull.
- Baseball Field Maintenance including mound and home plate repair, skin work, bullpen repair, warning track work, and batting practice setup/teardown.
- Turf Maintenance including mowing, edging, fertilizer application, irrigation, verticutting, aerating, sodding, and over seeding.
- 1 to 3 years related experience and/or recent graduate from a turf management program or related field also including a solid knowledge of turf maintenance supplies, materials and equipment and management of a baseball complex/stadium
- Knowledge in the practices and principles related to turf maintenance
- Pesticide license in turf/ornamental landscaping; Turf 3L Pesticide license; Knowledge of IPM (Integrated Pest Management)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent organization skills, strong work ethic, desire to excel, and willingness to learn
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel
- Ability to direct and lead an assigned seasonal grounds staff
- Experience in transition maintenance (i.e. rye to Bermuda) is a plus
- This is a full-time year around salary position
- This position designed to propel an individual into a future Head Groundskeeping position
- Health benefits
- Annual salary: $35,000-$45,000
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.